Back to News


Secure your student lifestyle with Tenants Contents Insurance

When you’re heading off to university, there are so many things to think about that it’s likely that insurance is at the bottom of the list – if it’s there at all. 

But getting the right Tenants Contents Insurance in place is crucial if you want to protect yourself from expensive losses and damage. Indeed, it is estimated that a third of UK students go on to become the victims of crime, with burglary and theft being particular problems. Around 20% of these robberies occur within the first 6 weeks of the academic year.

Unfortunately, more than half of the students who become victims of these crimes haven’t got cover for their personal belongings.

So, how can you keep your possessions safe while you’re busy studying? And what benefits does Tenants Contents Insurance give you?

How to protect your contents

To keep your possessions safe and secure, try following these useful tips.

  • Security measures: Lock your doors and windows when you leave your room and pull the curtains or blinds. This will block anyone’s view of your valuables. It’s also a good idea to invest in a sturdy lock for your room or storage space, if you have one. 
  • Store your valuables safely: As a student, you’re likely to own some pricey items, including a laptop and other electronics. To prevent them from becoming a tempting target for thieves, keep them out of sight. A safe or lockbox may also be useful to safely store smaller items.
  • Write an inventory: Make a detailed list of your possessions, particularly the expensive ones. Include photos and descriptions too. This will be useful if you do have to report something as stolen, whether it’s to the police or an insurance company.
  • Don’t show off: Being a student usually means that you share a lot of communal spaces. This means that you may need to be careful about displaying what you own. It’s also important to not leave valuable items lying around in shared areas.
  • Take precautions when you’re away: If you’re heading away, even if it’s just for a short period, keep your room locked and secure. This means locking your windows and doors and hiding away any expensive items.
  • Mark your possessions: Use a UV pen to mark your name and a contact number on your possessions. This won’t stop them from being stolen, but it may help to identify and track them down.
  • Protect your phone: Make sure you know what to do if your phone is stolen. Find out how to remotely lock it and how you can report it to your phone company.
  • Get Tenants Contents Insurance: Take out the right Tenants Contents Insurance policy. This means that if your possessions are damaged, stolen or lost, you will be financially protected.
The benefits of Tenants Contents Insurance

Tenants Contents Insurance primarily covers the cost of repair or replacement should your personal items be stolen, damaged or lost. 

This means that contents such as laptops, phones and even textbooks can be protected should the worst happen.

But our Tenants Contents Insurance also goes beyond this. 

Included in the cover is Occupiers & Public Liability Cover. This protects you should a visitor to your rented space be injured. This is because as an occupier you have a duty of care towards those who come into your rented room or house. If someone is injured, they could make a claim against you.

We also include Pedal Cycle Cover for your bicycle, as well as Accidental Damage Cover for your landlord’s property. Accidents can happen, so this cover will financially protect you should you break or otherwise damage the property you are renting.

Things to consider when taking out Tenants Contents Insurance

Before you take out a Tenants Contents Insurance policy, it’s wise to evaluate the total value of your belongings. Once you start adding it up, you may be surprised! By knowing the exact value, you can ensure that you take out the right level of cover, otherwise you may find that any claims payments fall short.

You should also look carefully at the policy’s limits and any exclusions, as well as any excesses you have to pay. There may be limits on how long you can leave your rented space unoccupied, for example.

If you have very expensive possessions, you may need to take out additional cover too. Always check the maximum limits for individual items before you buy your insurance.

How to make a claim on Tenants Contents Insurance

Step 1: Get in touch with your insurer or broker

Reach out to your insurance provider as soon as you can. If your policy is with us, we have our own dedicated in-house Claims team who can help you to get the best possible outcome for your claim.

When you call up, make sure you have your policy details to hand. This will allow the insurer to look up your details quickly. You’ll then have to describe the incident, including where it happened, what items were involved and if there is any damage.

Step 2: Take photos of the scene or damage

Take photos or videos of the damaged items so that the insurer can see exactly what has happened. If your item was stolen, it may be a good idea to provide photos of any broken locks or windows to show how the thief gained entry. You should also pass along any photos you previously took of items that have now been stolen or lost.

Step 3: File a police report

If the incident involves theft, vandalism or a criminal act, report it to the police and get a copy of the police report. This should include a crime reference number, which you can give to your insurer to support your claim. You should be able to make this report online if you prefer.

Step 3: Provide proof of ownership and value

In addition to photos, you may need to submit receipts, invoices or any other evidence that can prove you owned the stolen or lost property. These pieces of evidence can also demonstrate how much each item was worth. This will help when your claim is assessed.

Step 4: Obtain your claim settlement

If your claim is successful, you will receive your claims payment. Remember that there may be certain exclusions that will affect the size of the payment. You may also have to pay an excess. 

Talk to us about Tenants Contents Insurance

Get in touch with our knowledgeable brokers to protect your contents while you’re studying.

Related Articles