If your rented home was damaged by fire, flood or theft, would your personal items be protected? Your landlord’s insurance will protect the building and their furniture, fixtures and fittings, but will not cover your furniture, clothes or devices. Tenants Contents Insurance is designed to help, covering the cost of repair or replacement if the worst happens.

    • Available from £132 per year (including £10 admin fee)
    • Accidental damage to your own and your landlord’s property as standard
    • Pet damage (optional)
    • Theft or loss cover
    • Items away from home
    • Public & Occupiers Liability Insurance
    • Pedal Cycle Insurance
    • Claims support

Why choose us for Tenants Contents Insurance?

We are an independent insurance broker and have developed a specialist Tenants Insurance policy, which provides high-quality cover at a great-value price.

We include Accidental Damage in our policies as standard, which means your possessions (and those of your landlord) will be covered if you drop them or spill something on them, for instance. 

Our policies can also be extended to Pet Damage, so you will also be protected should your pet bite, scratch or otherwise damage something in the home.* 

Do I need Contents Insurance as a tenant?

If you want to make sure that your own personal contents are protected, yes.

Your landlord should have their own Landlord Insurance, but this will only cover furniture, furnishings and equipment that they have bought for the property. Any of your personal contents such as furniture, curtains, your mobile phone or laptop will not be covered. This means that should they be lost, damaged or stolen, you could find yourself without insurance to replace or fix them.

For this reason, it is a good idea to take out your own Contents Insurance. 

How much does Tenants Insurance cost?

At One Broker, we can provide protection for all of your belongings from just £132 per year.**

What is Tenants Public Liability Insurance?

Tenants Public Liability Insurance cover provides you with financial protection should someone – or their property – come to harm at your property. If they decide to take legal action, this insurance will help you cover the cost of defence and damages. 

Tenants Contents Insurance, on the other hand, protects your belongings should they be stolen, lost or damaged.

Some Tenants Content Insurance policies, such as ours, cover both under one policy.

Is Tenants Insurance a legal requirement?

No, it is not. However, it is still a good idea to have it just in case your landlord’s furniture, furnishings, fixtures or fittings are damaged. Without it, you may have to pay for things to be repaired or replaced. It will also cover any liabilities to third parties, should they take legal action for damage or harm suffered at your home. 

I live in a house share. Do we need individual Tenants Contents policies?

If you’re all named on the same tenancy agreement, you may only need one Renters Insurance policy. However, if you want to be sure you have the right level of cover and that it is up-to-date, you may prefer to take out your own policy for peace of mind.

Does Landlord Insurance cover tenants’ contents?

No. Landlord Insurance is a separate policy, which covers the building and the landlord’s possessions.

This means that if there was a fire, for example, you would not receive any payouts for the loss or damage of your own belongings. To ensure that your personal possessions are protected, it is a good idea to take out your own Tenants Insurance.

Can you cover items away from home?

Yes. We understand that you may want to wear items of jewellery or take your gadgets with you, so we include this in your Home Renters Insurance as standard to protect your belongings while you’re out and about.

Does Tenants Contents Insurance cover valuables?

It does, providing their value is below £1,000 each. For items worth more than £1,000 we will need to arrange specific protection.

I have pets. Does Tenants Contents Insurance cover any damage they may cause?

Most insurance policies don’t cover pet damage – but ours do! (Subject to an additional cost.)

If you have written permission for a pet from your landlord, we can provide cover for damage caused to your landlord’s property, including chewing, scratching and tearing. It also includes cover for damage caused by the pet colliding with the landlord’s property. This means you can cover the cost to repair or replace any items without losing your deposit.

How do I get Tenants Insurance?

To get Tenants Insurance with One Broker, drop us a line or give us a call. We’ll be in touch to find out more about what you need. We’ll ask you about the contents you own and how much these are worth to ensure that you get the right level of cover. 

It’s a good idea to have Tenants Insurance in place ready for when you move into your rental home, but if you’re a little late, don’t worry! Get in touch with us as soon as you can so that you get peace of mind as soon as possible.

*Subject to receiving written landlord permission to have pets in the property. 

**Silver package with no pet cover. Includes: £10,000 Contents Cover, £1,000 Personal Possessions, £300 Pedal Cycles, £2,000,000 Public Liability and £4,000 Accidental Damage to landlords property/fixtures and fittings. £100 standard excess & £150 excess for escape of water. Also includes Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate and £10 administration fee. Correct as at 1.12.23.